Friday, August 9, 2013

EDIM 514: You.com

For my final project for EDIM 514, I created a digital portfolio using Wix. I was able to merge my work and education histories with online social media activity in one location.  It also gave me a place to show off some of my photography, as well as a more personal side of myself.

Wix is a free web-hosting site and webpage builder.  I was able to choose a template and easily customize it by putting in my own text, photos, clipart, and links.  I couldn't believe how easy it was to use! In the past, I have had a few students use Wix to create webpages as a class project, and now I understand why. It is so user friendly that even students can use it.

Since I am not sure what the future holds for me, I may someday find myself looking for teaching jobs in a different location.  I think having a digital portfolio like the one I've created on Wix would be a great resource to share with potential employers.  It not only showcases the important biographical and professional information, but it also shows off my technology skills, creativity, and my personality.  I could easily remove some of the more "casual content," such as links to Instagram and Flickr if I decided to use share this page as part of the job-seeking process.

I decided to link to most of the Social Media websites that I maintain a regular presence on.  I recently decided to start using Twitter again and to begin following people and organizations in the educational world.  This makes the decision to include a link to my Twitter profile on my Wix more relevant.  Most of my recent uploads to Flickr have been related to my Wilkes courses, so I felt it would be a good idea to include that link too.

I had fun playing with the layout and choosing photos for my Wix page, which is not surprising, since I tend to be more "right-brained."  For my "About Me" page, I selected a variety of photos, showing the things that are important to me: my fiance, my dog, and my sense of humor and fun.  I tried to tap into that sense of humor and a little bit of whimsy by including a funny picture of my dog on the "Contact Me" page.

I hope if you check out my Wix digital portfolio, that you not only learn a little more about me, but you enjoy the experience.  Now without further ado, here is my final presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment