Sunday, October 20, 2013

EDIM 513: Final Reflection


After seven weeks of learning about inquiry based learning, I feel like I'm walking away with a much better understanding of what the term actually means. 

I've learned that inquiry based learning does not mean students are "set free" and left to their own devices.  Inquiry based learning can be more structured and teacher-led, if needed, or students can gradually be allowed to take the reins and direct their own learning experience.

I also learned that there are different types of questions and even questioning techniques to be considered with inquiry based learning.  Investigable questions set the stage for experiments, labs, and other hands-on investigations.  These types of questions invite the student to physically explore and demonstrate different concepts.  Non-investigable questions are not able to answered in a hands-on manner, however they are still just as important and valid.  These types of questions require students to perform research, analyze and synthesize information, and finally support their answer with facts.

I learned that technology is vital in assisting the inquiry process.  Not only can technology be used to research, but it can also be used to carry out experiments or to create presentations that demonstrate student understanding.

Finally, I learned the definitive difference between formative and summative assessments, a concept I have struggled with since my undergraduate teaching program.  Formative assessments take place throughout the learning process and are used to adjust instruction. Summative assessments come at the very end of the learning process and measure final proficiency or success.

When I sat down to type out all of the things I've learned in this course, I'm impressed with just how long my list is! I'm able to walk away from this course with some definite ideas of how I'd like to incorporate inquiry based learning into my own class. I would like for students to have more opportunities for hands-on demonstrations and investigations, as well as more experience with investigable questions.  I also hope to "beef up" my formative assessments to make them more meaningful and help me to better serve my students by gauging exactly what they've mastered.  I've already begun to allow students to ask their own questions during science class and then discuss what they believe the answers might be, or else design a way to investigate and find out. I'm finding there's more of a spark in my students this year, and I'm hoping with the new techniques I've learned that that spark will only grow brighter as the year goes on!

No comments:

Post a Comment