Sunday, July 28, 2013

EDIM 514: 7-Day Social Immersion Challenge Reflection

The 7-day photo challenge was a small taste of a project I've been considering undertaking for a few years.  I had seen it done before by a few friends on Facebook, including a coworker who successfully completed the full 365-day photo-a-day challenge in 2012.  For the latter, I was always excited to log on to Facebook and see what her daily photo would be, and the online album of 365 colorful photographs she was left with served as a remarkable souvenir of a year well-lived and the successful completion of the ambitious project she undertook.

Needless to say, I was excited to try a miniature version of the photo-a-day challenge this past week.  At first, it was challenging to remember to post a picture every day, but by the end of the week it had become part of my daily routine. It became something fun that I looked forward to. I was always interested to see what each day's "prompt" or "theme" would be.

Sometimes deciding what to photograph was a challenge.  I really tried to think about what was being asked of me by each daily prompt. Once I had an answer, I looked for objects or people I encountered throughout the day that might symbolize those answers or ideas. Some were easier than others, such as "A person you look up to."  For me, the instantaneous response was my parents.  Others, like "Something in the world you want to change" were more challenging because there are so many things I wish I could change.  After deciding that I was overthinking it, I found simple inspiration in the form of my rescue dog.  I snapped his picture while he was peacefully sleeping next to my fiance, wishing all animals could know the peace and love of a caring home.  If there's anything that I took away from this project, it's that there is beauty and contentment to be found in the simple things in life.

Posting the photos online was a fairly easy process, and one that built upon last week/unit's focus on using cell phones and mobile technology.  I was able to complete my 7-day photo challenge entirely on my smartphone.  First, I took the photos using my phone's camera.  Then, I edited them using Instagram (probably my favorite smartphone app!).  Finally, I used my newly downloaded Blogger app on my phone to upload the photos directly to my blog and create my posts, comments, tags, and all!  If I decide to undertake the full 365 photo-a-day challenge, which I would very much like to in 2014, I feel confident that it would be an easy process with my smartphone.  I have my phone with me at all times, and I'm constantly snapping photos with it, so as long as I can remember to post every day, I think I would be successful in this project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment